We are

We are

Monday, December 2, 2013

STATIC OR DYNAMIC? By Melissa Patrick

STATIC OR DYNAMIC?
As an avid runner I’ve FOCUSED on improving my  stretching technique and increasing the time devoted to  stretching before and after a workout. Usually, whenever I have extra time during a workout I use that time to exercise more, rather than  stretch. So, I now give myself 5 minutes before a workout and 5 or more minutes after a workout to stretch
As a regular gym goer I’ve noticed many patrons SKIPPING stretching all together. I mean who wants to stretch anyways? It’s not like you’re going to gain any muscle mass or improve your cardiovascular health by doing so. stretching is important though! stretching corrects muscle imbalances, improves muscle function, relieves joint stress, increases joint motion, and maintains the normal functional length of muscles to list a few advantages
I recommend DYNAMIC STRETCHING before beginning a workout and s STATIC STRETCHING after a workout. DYNAMIC STRETCHING is performing controlled movements through the joint’s full range of motion. DYNAMIC STRETCHING should be sport/exercise specific. For example, before running you could do controlled lunges and leg lifts. This active stretching will warm up the muscles to allow for increased blood flow and injury prevention.   STATIC STRETCHING is holding a muscle in an elongated, fixed position for 30 seconds or more, which is best after a workout because it basically turns the muscle off. The muscles that were stressed during the workout will relax and loosen. stretching is a fundamental part of any type of workout and recommended for overall health improvements. 


Now that you understand the importance and science behind stretching, I encourage you to give it a shot and let me know how you feel! I suggest 10 left leg lunges and 10 right leg lunges. 1 minute of high knees then 10 front kicks per leg. Now go for a 30 minute run, or brisk walk. When you’ve finished, sit down and STATIC STRETCH (i.e. straight legs and bend forward and hold, open legs and lean left and then right). Spend at least 30 seconds on each stretch. How do you feel? Leave comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment