We are

We are

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Beat the Heat!

Summer has unapologetically barged right in. I just walked inside from mowing the grass with a push mower and I am pouring sweat! I'm not talking a little sweat, I'm talking A LOT; buckets of sweat. It is HOT out there! I know, I couldn't wait for warmer weather to get here. I complained all winter about how cold it was and how excited I was for summer to get here. Boy, did it show up with an explosion of heat and humidity. It's tough to find the motivation to move, let alone exercise, when it's so sweltering. But there are a few ways to beat the heat and still get in a great workout! 

Be sure to drink lots of water! Every single day, drink at least ½ your body weight in ounces. If you plan on being outside, drink 16-32 ounces more than that. Now, I didn't say soda pop or sweet tea...I said water! Water is the base for all bodily functions, without it, we literally cannot survive. So drink up! If you don't like plain water, try freezing your favorite fruits and using them as ice. 

Start your activities earlier in the day, before the afternoon blaze sets in. If you are planning on a run, an outdoor fitness class, or taking the family to the zoo, try and plan for it before 1:00 pm. The hottest part of the day is between 11:00 and 3:00, so be aware of the heat around these hours. 

Keep cool when you are exerting energy in the heat. I teach an outdoor bootcamp class at 6pm in the evenings and I make sure each of my participants has a cold, wet rag to use during class. It doesn't seem like much, but it makes all the difference in the world. Just wet a rag or hand towel, put it in a plastic bag, and stick it in the refrigerator for a few hours. You could even pop over to the store for a battery powered fan-squirt-bottle thing. (Yes, that is the proper term) They are like regular squirt bottles but with a battery powered fan on them. They are great to use when it's hot!

Try some cool snacks to help with the heat. Check out our previous blog on healthy summer snacks for some great alternatives to cool treats for hot days. Or you could just do what I do and eat an entire watermelon in one sitting. Actually, I don't recommend that unless you are near a restroom for the day. 

Don't be afraid to sweat, either. Sweating is the body's way of cooling itself down and it's a great way to flush out toxins. Now, don't you let that summer heat beat you down! All you have to do is prepare, plan, HYDRATE, and get outside to enjoy the summer sun!

Happy Summer!

Natalie Lurie
email: natalie@guidingfitness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment